Monday, September 22, 2008

Library Tourism

I must be a complete and total library geek. The latest example? Library tourism.

I just finished wandering around the Providence Athenaeum. The website really doesn't do it justice. It's the 4th oldest library in the U.S., and one of the few remaining subscription libraries. It looks like a Greek temple on the outside, and an old-fashioned library, complete with scary mezzanine and marble busts on the inside. They have a portrait of George Washington downstairs. It's really, really cool. If any of you readers are library geeks like me and aren't ashamed to admit it, stop by the Athanaeum should you ever be in Rhode Island. It's worth it.

4 comments:

Tom said...

I too tend to visit libraries on vacation/trips. I go in drool at all the money used in in-laws library in an expansive suburb of Detroit.

bim said...

What was the technology like at the Atheneaum or couldn't you tell? I thought I saw a card catalog there.

A. L. said...

It does have a card catalog that's still in use!! I asked them about it, and they said that a few years ago (maybe 5 years or so) they teamed up with RISD and got to share use of their computer system. If they hadn't got RISD's assistance, they'd still be all card catalog as they can't afford an ILS on their own. Weird, huh?

Anonymous said...

I love to visit libraries while on vacation too!