- If you look at the branch information for my new library, I'm listed by name as the branch manager. This is simultaneously VERY VERY COOL and a little freaky. Probably 'cause I'm still new. I'll get used to it, right?
- While you're there, copy the address and paste it into googlemaps. Look at the streetview for that address. See that two-story brick building on the north side of the street? That's my library! It's an old elementary school and it looks like it. One staff person told me today that sometimes people will come in because they went to school there and wanted to see it now that they're 90-something.
- The first half of today was spent at the headquarters, which I now am actually remembering is called "Administrative Offices" (office? offices? OK, now not sure). Did the intensive computer course in the two systems, GEAC and Client. Client's a windows-style overlay on GEAC, so it's essentially the same info, just a different way of looking at it. GEAC is DOS, I'd like to point out. From 1994. We're switching to Polaris in April, I think it is, and man that can't come soon enough.
- Second half of the day was my first time working in the branch. I didn't break anything (although the copier broke all on its own), I didn't set anything on fire, and I didn't enter the wrong amount of anything into the cash register. And by the end of the day, I was getting into the rhythm of it.
...More later, maybe.

2 comments:
Thanks for the updates. I was wondering how you were getting on, and now a few more days have gone by. I hope you are more into the swing of things.
Checking in to "Exploration" today and see you are surving in your new location. Yes, it gets easier and yes, it gets harder some days! I have changed both locations/positions within a "system" and careers within my life and while I can't imagine changing every couple of years, change every 4-8 years can help keep a fresh perspective and sense of exploration so to speak. Take care and update us more when you can.
Post a Comment